It’s that time of year again… summer is quickly approaching and I couldn’t be happier! We’re in the last two weeks of school here and looking forward to the lazy days of summer. Schedules will slow down and we’ll be looking forward to time in the pool and other fun activities.
There’s something about summer that makes me want to live healthier. To be completely honest, part of that has to do with all the wearing of the swimsuits! HA! But, it’s even more than just that ‘ole swimsuit that makes me want to be healthier. Maybe it’s all the beautiful veggies, or thinking about getting outdoors and enjoying a nice hike or walk along the beach. I’m not sure, but summer time certainly makes me think about it more.
Here’s a few things that we do around our house in the summer to make sure we are living healthier as we enjoy all the fun and sun!
1. Plan a garden, or a flower box, or even a few flower pots – getting outdoors and getting our hands in the soil can be relaxing and “grounding”. It gives us a few quite moments to just be quiet as we work with the soil and prepare a pretty flower or other plant to grow and shine.
2. Exercise outdoors – we’ve been exercising indoors throughout the cold winter months and it’s now time to get outdoors and take advantage of all the warm weather activities that we can do for exercise. Take a hike, play tag with the kids, cycle… any of these are great. Just get yourself outdoors and breathe some fresh air while you get/stay in shape.
3. Take a vacation – it’s good for all of us to step away from our normal day-to-day routine and do something fun away from the schedules and commitments and even, our own home. Studies show that vacation time helps to lower our blood pressure, heart rate and stress hormones.
4. Pack a Cooler When on Our Summer Time Adventures – fill your cooler with healthy food and drinks and you’ll avoid all the fast food and replace it with home cooked and packed meals. An added bonus? You’ll probably save a few bucks, too! 🙂
5. Fix a Salad – in the summer the grocery store produce aisles and our gardens are packed with beautiful fruits and veggies that just radiate the feeling of summer time and are so good for us! Pick your favorites and create a salad. Here’s a few of my favorites:
6. Stay Hydrated – this one is really important all year long, but becomes more important in the summer when we’re outdoors in the heat more than any other time of the year. Every cell, tissue, and organ in our body requires water to work as it should. Plain and simple, or body needs water to be healthy.
7. Protect yourself from too much sun – remember to wear a hat to protect your face and a good natural sunscreen. We like to always keep Aloe Vera on hand at our house for those times we do get too much sun. It’s a cooling and healing gel that will soothe any sunburn.
8. Relax & Breathe – be sure to take advantage of the slower, less busy schedules that summer usually brings with it. I relish in the lack of school and extra-curricular activities on the calendar and enjoy some great downtime to hang out with my family at home or on fun day trips. From time to time we’ll take a day where we leave the phone at home, take a break from the TV for a day or more, and we make sure we get outdoors.
9. Take Up a New Hobby – summer is the perfect time to tackle that hobby you’ve been wanting to try all year. Maybe you want to try your hand at gardening, tennis, golf, or a herb garden. There’s no better time than summer time!
What are some of the fun ways you and/or your family make summer a time to have fun and live healthier? I’d love to hear what you do!