I don’t know about you, but I find it hard to add time to my day for a trip to the gym for a workout several times a week. Admittedly, part of this is a motivation issue. Time at the gym is not something that I enjoy.
But, I know the importance of being active and fitting some sort of exercise and movement into my daily lifestyle. Over the years, I’ve tried lots of different things to add extra healthy steps to my day and I’ve put together this list of what I’ve found works for me.
1. Work at a desk all day? Pick an exercise that you can do anywhere... even sitting at your desk. In the last office job I held, most of my team worked in other locations. This meant many conference calls. I would close my office door, put the call on speakerphone and do stretches at my desk while listening. Stretches are great for keeping your muscles from getting stiff and keeping the blood flowing. And, they don’t leave you out of breath for when you do need to be talking on that call. 🙂 While stretching during a conference call may not work for everyone… there’s always lunch break or you could take a 5 minute break in the morning and again in the afternoon for a few stretches. You might want to check out my Pinterest board dedicated to Wellness in the Workplace. There’s a great pin with stretches that are easy to do in the Workplace.
2. Find ways to walk more throughout the day. Going to the grocery store? Park further back in the parking lot instead of trying to find that front row parking space. Need to venture to an upper level of a building? Skip the elevator and take the stairs. There are many creative ways to walk more during the day. One of my favorites is to walk to school to pick up my daughter in the afternoon. I get a little exercise and we both get some one-on-one time together as we walk back home.
3. Do you spend time watching TV in the evenings? Exercise while you watch your favorite TV program. There are many exercises you could do during your TV time… push-ups, jogging in place, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, and time on the treadmill are just a few.
4. Instead of meeting friends at the local coffee shop, take a walk together. You get to enjoy time with a friend, catch up on what’s going on in both your lives, AND you are exercising at the same time.
5. Spring will be here before we know it and it’s time to get our yards into shape and looking great for the spring and summer months. Yard work is another great way to get exercise. All the moving and raking, squating to pull weeds, and so much more… it’s a great workout!
6. Can you turn your commute to work into exercise? My workplaces that were away from home never made this one possible for me, but I always thought it would be great to walk or ride my bike to work. Particularly on beautiful, sunny days, I think this would be the perfect way to get the day off to a good start.
Whatever you choose to do, remember that even 5 minutes of exercise if better than no exercise at all. All of it is good!
What is your best way to fit exercise into a busy day?