In recent years I’ve developed a great interest in home remedies. Some of this has been curiosity . As in, “how in world could that work?” 🙂
A lot of my interest has been due to a desire to put less medication in my body and replace with more natural products. And, part has been due to a couple of really bad reactions I’ve had to medications.
I have tried a number of home remedies over this time. Some didn’t work at all. But, a number of them work great. Today I’m sharing with you 5 Home Remedies that work and work well….
1. To soothe a sore throat, try a cup of sage tea. Just pour 1 cup of almost-boiling water over 2 tablespoons of fresh sage (or 1 tablespoon of dried sage). Cover and let it steep for 10-15 minutes and then strain. It’s quick and easy to make and it will have your sore throat feeling better in 1-2 hours.
2. Next time you feel a migraine coming on, freeze it out with ice! That’s right…. place ice on your temples or the back of your neck for 10 to 15 minutes and that migraine will start to ease. It works because the ice numbs the nerve that sends the pain signal and constricts the blood vessels. The cold, icy sensation you’ll feel is also a great distraction from the pain! 🙂
3. Try vinegar for swimmer’s ear. Dilute white vinegar with an equal amount of distilled water and put 3 drops in the ear 3 times daily. This home remedy works because the vinegar acidifies the external auditory canal. As it acidifies, it kills the bacteria that causes swimmer’s ear.
4. Get rid of blisters with Listerine. I know, this one sounds a bit crazy, but it works! Put a drop or two of Listerine on a cotton ball and dab on blisters 3 times a day until it dries out and doesn’t hurt. Those blisters will be gone before you know it!
5. Ease indigestion with peppermint oil. A mixture of peppermint oil and licorice root in combination will increase mucus production and relax the sphincter. Together, this will take care of that indigestion in no time!
BONUS: I can’t mention Peppermint Essential Oil without telling you that this oil is great for a wide variety of home remedies. Here are just a few….
* Get rid of headaches by placing a drop or two on your temples.
* Diffuse to ease sinus pressure and breathing
* Rub a drop or two on your stomach to ease stomach discomfort.
* Use together with Lemon Essential Oil for DIY household cleaning products. (I’ll be sharing several of these ideas in the near future!)
* Diffuse several drops mid-afternoon to ease mid-afternoon snack cravings.
(If you’d like to learn more about Peppermint Essential Oil (or other essential oils), feel free to send me an email at email@example.com or visit my doTERRA shop!)
What are some of your most used home remedies?